Have you been injured because of the actions (or lack of action) of another person? Consult with our experienced personal injury lawyers in Okeechobee County to find out what compensation you may be eligible for to help restore you to your financial position before the injury.
What Is a Personal Injury Claim?
In the State of Florida, a personal injury claim is a way of protecting your legal rights after an accident or injury should the incident have been caused by the negligence of someone else. Essentially, you are claiming for damages which you have suffered because of injuries sustained in an accident or because of the death of your breadwinner in an accident. Specifically, a personal injury claim seeks compensation for the burden of medical bills, lost wages, and other resulting costs. You will likely need to take action against the person, company, or agency responsible for your injury or illness.
One of the most common personal injury claims is for damages suffered because of an automobile accident. Examples of other accidents which may lead to a personal injury claim include:
Do I Have a Personal Injury Case?
There are two major criteria to a successful personal injury lawsuit.
1. Negligence is when a defendant who owes you a duty fails to protect you against risk or harm and thus breaches that duty causing you damages. This can be broken down into:
- Who had the duty to ensure your safety?
- Did they breach that duty by not foreseeing and protecting you from possible risk in circumstances where a reasonable person with the same level of expertise would?
- Did their action (or inaction) cause you to be injured?
- Are your damages a direct and proximate result of the breach of duty to you?
2. Damages can only be awarded if you can:
- Prove that you have suffered harm (physical or psychological harm or financial loss)
- Show the monetary amount needed to overcome the harm you have suffered as above is to try to make you whole for the losses you sustained from the negligence of another.
Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
When in need of personal injury attorneys, the Okeechobee County community deserves a law firm that has outstanding investigative skills and is resourceful in locating witnesses and the documentation needed to establish and pursue claims – a firm like Sokoloff and Weinstein, P.A.