Since the inception of these ‘innovators’ in the tourism industry, more and more travellers have turned to this internet-based business model for their accommodation. Parallel to the rise in popularity has been the need for Airbnb / VRBO accident lawyers.
What Is An Airbnb / VRBO Accident Liability Claim?
Despite being home-based, Airbnb / VRBO is a business. As such, hosts have a legal obligation to keep their property properly maintained and a duty of care to ensure the safety of visitors. If a guest is injured because the property owner did not actively do their best to protect them, there may be grounds for an Airbnb injury insurance claim or even a lawsuit.
Just like homes and commercial properties, vacation rentals are bound by premises liability laws. Accidents must be avoided by conducting regular inspections and maintenance to ensure a high standard of safety is upheld and by warning guests of any potential hazards. Many an Airbnb injury claim results from perilous conditions such as:
- Uneven surfaces – holes in the yard, cracked flooring, loose or torn carpets or rugs
- Defective steps or stairs and broken or missing handrails
- Inadequate lighting
- Slippery floors that are highly polished or waxed or wet from a spill or cleaning
- Leaking appliances, roofs, showers, or bathtubs
- Walkways cluttered with obstructions and/or protruding objects like nails and splinters
- Lack of signage demarcating dangerous areas.
On top of slip and fall accidents, some renters have reported Airbnb assaults or sexual abuse. Part of a property owner’s duty of care is implementing reasonable security measures to prevent possible assaults, robberies, theft, or property damage by a third party. If you are a victim of a crime committed on an Airbnb property, an Airbnb attorney can help you seek the highest settlement for your case.
How Can An Airbnb Personal Injury Be Compensated?
An experienced Airbnb liability injury law can help you to pursue a claim to compensate you for damages:
- Current medical bills and ongoing medical and other expenses for serious or permanent injuries
- Lost wages and even loss of the ability to earn if you are so severely injured that you can no longer work
- Pain and suffering associated with the type of injury and its medical treatment
- Emotional distress connected to your mental and emotional state following the accident
- Loss of consortium (companionship) if the accident killed your partner or ended the relationship
- Punitive damages to hold particularly egregious defendants accountable and make an example of them.
Why Hire An Airbnb Accident Lawyer?
For your lawyer to sue Airbnb, the onus is on you, the plaintiff, to prove negligence:
- The Airbnb owner owed you a duty of reasonable care
- They breached this duty
- The breach caused your injuries
- You incurred damages and losses because of your injury.
Chances are that you will be dealing with the Airbnb injury insurance company – known to try to bully individuals. An Airbnb personal injury lawyer will assist you with establishing the above, as well as:
- Calculate present damages and estimate future expenses originating from an Airbnb accident
- Effectively negotiate with the defendant and insurance companies on your behalf. If an out-of-court settlement is unsatisfactory, they will fight for your rights in court.
What’s more, plaintiffs with attorney representation receive an average of 3.5 times higher settlements than those without and 85% of all insurance companies’ pay-outs for personal injury claims are paid to parties represented by a lawyer.