In the unfortunate event of a personal injury – whatever may have caused it – the last thing you want to do is deal with the financial backlash that usually takes place. The backlash may be immediate, with bills, claims, and requests coming your way before you’ve even started to recover from your injuries. On the other hand, it could also be delayed and long-lasting, affecting your income and employability for years to come. In either case, you need personal injury lawyers to help mitigate the damage and hopefully assist you in getting compensation for your injury.
A Friend in Need…
A good personal injury lawyer is one of the best allies you can have after you have sustained an injury. These specialized legal advisors help individuals, who have been injured in accidents, to recover financial compensation. These funds are usually sorely needed to cover medical costs, lost income, as well as pain and suffering.
As authorities on tort law, personal injury lawyers work in civil litigation for injuries resulting from negligence. Common examples of incidents covered by personal injury law are motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall accidents, defective products, workplace injuries, and medical malpractice.
Counsel and Representation
A personal injury lawyer serves three main functions:
1. Educating You About Your Rights:
Once a personal injury lawyer understands a case, he or she can explain how the different legal issues arising from it will affect the plaintiff’s life, and what kind of compensation the injured party may be entitled to claim.
2. Providing Advice:
When you approach a personal injury lawyer about your case, you will get a complete walkthrough of the case’s legal implications and the systems and procedures that will have to be faced in order to win compensation. They will explain and break down complicated legal procedures, interpret medical and insurance jargon, and guide you through the mountains of paperwork arising from the case.
3. Representation in Court:
In the event that a trial is actually necessary, although this is not usually the case, the personal injury lawyer will handle the litigation process and represent you in court.
In addition to these main functions, your personal injury lawyer can also do the following:
- Conduct an investigation into the case.
- Connect with medical providers to set up the various medical assessments you may need to strengthen your case.
- Identify and explore various legal processes and options. It’s not only about litigation. In fact, it is not usual for personal injury cases to go to trial. So, personal injury lawyers can utilize a variety of other processes, including negotiations on your behalf with your insurance company and arbitration.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
You don’t necessarily need a lawyer when you have an accident, but it may be a good idea. Some of the main reasons to engage one are:
- If there are multiple parties involved.
- If your insurance or compensation claim is denied.
- If a settlement is offered, and you need to determine whether it is a fair and equitable one.
If you are in any of these positions, or just need more clarity regarding your case, contact Sokoloff & Weinstein, a firm of experienced personal injury lawyers in Royal Palm Beach and Vero Beach. Contact us today to discuss your case.