Money will not bring back your loved one. But in West Palm Beach, a wrongful death lawsuit offers some succour to grieving family members by holding the defendant to account.
According to Florida statute, a wrongful death occurs when a person or entity causes another person’s death by a “wrongful act, negligence, default, or breach of contract or warranty”, such as:
- An incident resulting from negligence, for example a motor vehicle collision
- Medical malpractice or nursing home neglect that leads to death
- Unsafe working conditions that bring about death
- Unsafe premises that causes a death
- A defective or dangerous product that kills someone, or
- Children deaths that could have been prevented, or
- Accidental poisoning resulting in a death.
Who Is Entitled To Wrongful Death Benefits?
While money will not bring back your loved one, compensation is meant to help to lessen the financial strain that stems from such a loss. The deceased’s estate (and surviving family members of the decedent) can seek compensation for:
- Medical, funeral, and burial expenses paid by family members/estate
- Pain and suffering and mental suffering of the decedent and possibly the decedent’s spouse, children, or parents
- Loss of companionship, protection, and guidance
- Loss of financial support and services.
- Future lost earnings of the victim and accumulation of value of the estate.
In the state of Florida, the plaintiff in a wrongful death action is a personal representative who files on behalf of the deceased estate. If there is no will or estate plan, a personal representative will be appointed by the court in an intestate proceeding.
If you are still unsure about who is entitled to wrongful death benefits, contact a wrongful death lawyer.
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Palm Beach County
At two (2) years, the typical statute of limitations for a wrongful death case in Florida is considerably shorter than that of other personal injury lawsuits. Despite the traumatic experience of unexpectedly losing a loved one, it is important to have your case filed in a timely manner.
With nearly 30 years’ experience, Sokoloff & Weinstein, P.A., Attorneys at Law are ready to help you in getting the greatest amount of compensation feasible under the law. For more information and assistance in a wrongful death lawsuit, West Palm Beach, contact us today.